Sunday, March 7, 2010

The Ever Likable Joe Biden

I also saw Senator Clinton, Senator Biden, and Governor Romney in person. While I wasn’t able to see Senator Clinton in a town hall format, she and President Clinton had a rally in Manchester that I attended. It is not as informative a format as a town hall, yet throughout the primary process what came through with Senator Clinton is that she is a professional. She doesn’t have a real weak area topically, and she performs consistently, regardless of format or circumstance. In time she became my second choice for president, as I was convinced that she would be competent, and she was more of a centrist than the other Democrats.

Senator Biden I had the privilege to meet at a house party hosted by state representative Jim Webber. If I have any regret in voting Republican, it is that Mr. Webber was so kind in welcoming me into his home; he introduced me to people who generally knew each other, but not me, so I almost felt obligated to vote Democrat – almost.

It was a thrill to meet Senator Biden. I’ve known of Senator Biden for as long as I’ve known that Senators exist, so while I’m somewhat embarrassed to admit it, he sort of took my breath away when he walked through the door. Something about Senator Biden just makes me smile; don’t know what it is other than that he is very likable and very, very outgoing.

Senator Biden was the only other candidate besides Senator McCain that addressed Iraq in specific detail. While his plan didn’t seem to add up the same way Senator McCain’s plan did, he gets big points from me on being direct and forthcoming. He stated how dangerous the region was, and that if we didn’t leave the region properly, the Iraqi people who had helped us would be killed.

I was right up front during Senator Biden’s talk at the house party. Senator Biden is a ‘close talker;’ he looks people right in the eye and stands just inches away from them. I however, am not, and had to keep reminding myself not back up and fall backwards out the Webbers’ screen door. When he was done he turned to the lady standing next to me and said, ‘How are you? Tell me about yourself.’ At which I thought, I need to get out of here; I can’t think of one thing about myself. However, after I left the room, I realized I’d kick myself later if I didn’t shake his hand. So I went back to the porch where he’d have to pass in order to leave, and shook his hand. He was delightful. I was happy that I remembered my name, and fortunately I’m equally happy to say I did not embarrass myself. Senator Biden made a comment about my standing up front being similar to being stuck in the first pew of a church. I was amused to hear him use that line a week or two later when one of his events was televised on C-SPAN.


Meeting Senator/Vice President Biden

An Indpendent Call by Katherine J. Morrison available at Amazon.

No comments: